When cooking tea equals mind numbing boredom

May 15, 2015 · 15 comments

This post is brought to you by KitchenwareDirect

I know I’m not the only mum who goes through stages when she thinks cooking was invented purely with the intention of driving mothers insane.  You know what I mean.  Those nights (or weeks ……. or even months) when the thought of making YET ANOTHER meal to feed the family seems like the most monotonous and soul-destroying thing you could be asked to do.     Don’t get me wrong,  I’m  not against food per-say (in fact I love it)  but meal preparation has been known to make me  bang my head on the nearest wall.

Sick of cooking tea every night

My cooking mojo seems to run in ebbs and flows.   While I’m never going to be someone who gets really excited about meal preparation, I do have stages when I can happily spend quality time in the kitchen and get some satisfaction from producing  good food for my family.  Entering the world of thermocooking with my Cuisine Companion has helped a lot in that area, but that’s not really what this post is about.  What I’m talking about today are those horrible dry spells when the only thing you want to go into the kitchen for is to make yourself a cup of coffee.   But, being the mum, there is no ‘get out of jail free’ card and you still have to make tea.  Every. Single. Night.  How do you cope with that?  (Unless of course you are one of the lucky ones who paired up with someone who loves to cook.  Which obviously I didn’t!)

I hope you didn’t come here looking for answers.  Just so we’re clear I don’t have any.   My approach to it is pretty simple. I roll my eyes, sigh loudly and then put on my big girl apron and get on with it.  Eventually the feelings of boredom pass and I start to regain some pleasure from being in the kitchen.   It usually takes a couple of weeks, by which time my family don’t care if they never see a plate of spaghetti bolognese, tuna mornay, or any of the other classic ‘think free’ family meals, again in their life time.   (Which is a shame for them because of course they will.)

I guess what I’m really saying here is that if it happens to you too, don’t panic.  We weren’t all born to be masterchefs and a little lull in the endless progression of night-time food preparation  isn’t going to ruin anyone’s family.   One thing that does help, to some respect, with my own kitchen motivation is good quality cooking gear.  If you are in the market for some of that you might like to check out kitchenwaredirect.com.au – especially if you like the professional cookware range by Jamie Oliver and Tefal.  Just lovely!

In the meantime may the cooking force  and inspiration mojo stay with you for all your night-time meal preparations. Off you go now.  Get your big girl apron out and get cooking.

signature new smaller

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Dorothy May 20, 2015 at 2:11 pm

One day, I will have a personal chef. For now, I just struggle on letting Maccas and tin spaghetti rescue me on the really bad days.
Dorothy recently posted..How simplifying things helps me live with anxietyMy Profile

2 Caz May 20, 2015 at 2:41 pm

Yup – I think we all do that one. PS: I’m coming over for tea on the day you get your personal chef . Okay?
Caz recently posted..Easy Thai Green Curry Chicken (Cuisine Companion Cooking)My Profile

3 Sonia Life Love Hiccups May 18, 2015 at 10:44 pm

Oh this is so me.. every single day that I cant convince the hubby to cook 😉 xx
Sonia Life Love Hiccups recently posted..A Heart Full Of CourageMy Profile

4 Caz May 19, 2015 at 11:04 am

Haha Sonia. If you ever figure out how to get him to cook please let me know for mine 🙂
Caz recently posted..When cooking tea equals mind numbing boredomMy Profile

5 Julie Johnson May 18, 2015 at 12:53 am

Meal preparation is a huge burden in my opinion. I dread coming up with dinner plans especially, because it is very rare for everyone to be satisfied 🙁 A personal chef would be fantastic, but unless I suddenly win a large sum of money, I’m it in this house unfortunately. Glad I’m not the only one who feels this way though 🙂
Julie Johnson recently posted..After The StormMy Profile

6 Caz May 19, 2015 at 11:06 am

How cool would a personal chef be! I would love that VERY VERY MUCH. It seems there are a few of us who feel the same about this cooking/meal prep thing. 🙂 At least we know we’re not alone.
Caz recently posted..When cooking tea equals mind numbing boredomMy Profile

7 Bronnie - Maid In Australia May 16, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I used to love cooking – until it became a daily event where it became difficult to please everyone. Thankfully it’s become easier as children have become older – and I’ve become less silly about trying to accommodate their every whim. And they like to cook, so I let them take over the kitchen occasionally. That certainly saves my sanity and means they at least get some control over what they are eating – and have some pride and independence too. Even if my kitchen gets messy in the meantime!
Bronnie – Maid In Australia recently posted..No Shit Charlie …My Profile

8 Caz May 16, 2015 at 4:08 pm

Good advice Bronny. My big girls does a bit but I think I might upskill her a bit more 🙂 LOL
Caz recently posted..When cooking tea equals mind numbing boredomMy Profile

9 Sharon Eacott May 15, 2015 at 11:00 am

I love cooking, but I get to resent *having* to do it – especially at this time of year when our kitchen is freezing. My travails are unappreciated, I’m not valued for my sacrifice, my feet hurt…etc.

So, two weeks ago, I announced I needed a holiday. I handed The Boy the grocery money and left the running of *the entire house * to him for a fortnight.

I feel much more appreciated now!
Sharon Eacott recently posted..HummusMy Profile

10 Caz May 15, 2015 at 11:24 am

Oh wow Sharon, what an awesome thing to do. I am impressed. We should all do that for a few weeks every year. Call is our annual leave!!!! Love it.
Caz recently posted..Bessy Blue Car versus the worldMy Profile

11 Melissa Gijsbers May 15, 2015 at 10:03 am

You’re so lucky that the feeling of boredom passes. It doesn’t for me… cooking isn’t something I’ve ever enjoyed doing, so it’s always boring.
Melissa Gijsbers recently posted..Friday Five – Goodie Bag fillersMy Profile

12 Caz May 15, 2015 at 10:14 am

Okay, I see myself as lucky now too. 🙂 I hate those weeks when I can’t stand cooking … simply because I have to force myself to do it. Maybe you should try thermocooking too 🙂
Caz recently posted..Bessy Blue Car versus the worldMy Profile

13 Melissa Gijsbers May 15, 2015 at 10:31 am

I have a thermie and do thermocooking, but it’s still boring cooking dinner every single night
Melissa Gijsbers recently posted..Friday Five – Goodie Bag fillersMy Profile

14 Sara Williams May 15, 2015 at 9:57 am

I SO know what you mean. I’m there right now. Rolls Eyes, Rolls Eyes, Rolls Eyes.

15 Caz May 15, 2015 at 10:14 am

Fingers crossed it will pass for you soon Sara. Hang in there.
Caz recently posted..Ballarat Bloggers – let me introduce you to some friends of mineMy Profile