You can’t scare me – I have children.

July 27, 2011 · 11 comments

Thank you Google Images – just borrowing this one.

It’s true.  Since becoming a mum I’ve handled situations and events that I would have never even thought possible in my carefree pre-kids life.     I’ve done things and gone places that only another mother could possibly understand.  (You know what I mean.  Sleep deprived Mummy somehow manages to  sort out massive preschooler fist debate , with one hand on a poohy  baby bottom and the other on the phone calmly telling the 3rd telemarketer for the day  that their un-solicitored call is not very welcome right now.)   So you see you simply cannot frighten me off – I’m battle worn, muscled up and ready for anything ……… well almost.   There are a couple of things that still make me catch up breath and bring a frightened stare to my face.

Pushing myself outside of my comfort zone scares me and this weekend it’s in for some s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g.  Attending the Kids Business Blogger Brunch and Nuffnangs  Blogopolis has the sides of my comfort zone shaking already.  Will my lovely blogger friends like me when they meet me in real life!!  Oh so high school of me – but take the girl out of her comfort zone and that is pretty much where you find her.  Back at self-doubt central.   Just as well I know the secret  ‘most of us are like the rest of us’.  If I’m feeling this way then more than likely many others are too.  (Leave me a comment  below if you’re coming too so we can make plans to meet face-to-face.)

Teenagers scare me.  Or more particularly the year 2017 when my first teenager emerges from her childhood cocoon and turns 13.   Will I be able to cope with three young women all striking out on their journey to independence?  When I see teenage girls down the street ‘strutting their stuff’ in their jeggings, with their mobile phones attached to their thumbs I go straight into denial.  Nop it is just not happening at our house!  I guess I can be thankful I still have six years to adjust to the idea!

Being to consumed by life to enjoy it scares me too.   I’m an introvert by nature.  I love to have huge blocks of time to read, write and contemplate life.    It energizes me and brings a feeling of balance to my life.  But, as a mummy and a part-time social welfare work, I no longer get the absolute luxury of time to myself.   There is always something that needs doing or someone who needs my attention.  This blog is what I eek out for myself – my own little reflection pond of life.    It frightens me to think how quickly life passes me by when I don’t reflect and mull over things.

What about you?  Have you achieved something fantastic since becoming a mummy that you never thought you could have before you had kids?  I’d love to hear what it is.    Or do you still have some secret fears like me?  I noticed a little card at work yesterday that said “you can’t scare me – I have children”.  Brilliant.  I think it’s going to become my new motto in life.

1 Kymmie August 3, 2011 at 7:45 pm

You’re so right Caz. Just going and getting needles use to be such a hard thing for me. But after gestational diabetes, emergency caesarian and all that comes with it… I can do ANYTHING

Thanks for sharing. Love your posts. xx
Kymmie recently posted..old kitchen, 10 things i dislike about youMy Profile

2 Lee July 28, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I love it! I may also adopt the motto.

Heading away for a couple of weeks so my biggest achievement at the moment is packing for us all.

I look forward to checking back in when we get home.
Lee recently posted..Hi Ho Hi Ho it’s off on holiday we goMy Profile

3 Caz July 28, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Have a great holiday Lee. Enjoy it muchly and I’ll check back with you too on your return. Cazxx

4 Tat July 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Teenagers scare me, too!

I finally did my dance medal tests after I had kids. I’d love to do the next levels now, but I need to make some money for private lessons (and not spend it on plane tickets to see my parents).
Tat recently posted..Spiders holding handsMy Profile

5 Caz July 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Wow Tat – that’s awesome. What type of dance. I’m thinking ballroomish maybe??? I love to watch good dancer – but I’m not much good myself. Bit embarassing really!!

6 Grace July 27, 2011 at 7:41 pm

I didn’t think I was going to be able to do it, but I ran the 14 kms City2Surf while the twinlets were still 6 months. (Yes, I was still breastfeeding too !)
I’m going to do it again this year and going to make sure that I kick even bigger butt 🙂
Grace recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – A Winter’s MornMy Profile

7 Caz July 27, 2011 at 7:48 pm

Wow Grace – that’s totally awesome. Go you!! And as a breastfeeding mum too!! Love it.

8 jody July 27, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I wish i was going, but i have to work 🙁
But I’ve decided to go to the pre drinks on friday, and that scares me! I don’t really know many bloggers, and am only new to blogging so will be feeling totally out of my league! I think its good to push your self sometimes and get out of the comfort zone though as you say. Are you going?
Hope you have a great time at the conference and can’t wait to hear all about it! x
jody recently posted..Simple Carrot Cake.My Profile

9 Caz July 27, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Hey Jody, no i haven’t booked myself in for any of the pre-post parties. I was a little nervous of getting myself around town at night alone. I’ll probably regret it. But to me even a night alone in a motel is sounding blissful!! (although I would have loved to meet you irl!!)

10 Naomi Ellis July 27, 2011 at 12:02 pm

Oh yes! I can relate to this post. I always remind myself that I can face any challenge that comes my way after giving birth to my cherubs. I have had to deal with many issues, cried through many of them but have made it to the end and discovered it was not as bad as I thought. So looking forward to seeing you. n x
Naomi Ellis recently posted..happiness and instant gratificationMy Profile

11 Caz July 27, 2011 at 12:06 pm

So true Naomi. You have more than double my children and you run a fabulous blog. I’m pretty sure you could do anything!! And I think maybe the person who wrote the saying “you can’t scare me – I have kids” may actually have been thinking about you!! See you soon. Cazxx

Comments on this entry are closed.